Thursday, November 6, 2008

Glitter




This morning I was dreading going to school. I really like school it's just that I sort of dislike going there after a rough day. I believe us teachers have decided that Wednesdays are by far the least fun day of the week. Nothing in particular that is bad except that the students are rediculous, there's too much week left to be excited for the weekend and not enough week left to get everything done. AND there is inservice tomorrow which is like Latin for "hurry up and wait, and do 15 activities then rush to your room in order to get some stuff done before the veteran teachers start coming around and talking to you and you get nothing done with your 4 hour work day in which you wanted to get caught up on grading and potentially clean out a cabinet!" Okay, maybe not latin but definately spanish...I should know, I teach it also. :)

Back to this morning, so I was dreading school and then after turning off of hwy 75 and onto hwy 58 there was a slow moving grain truck. I am all for farmers and don't mind driving behind them as long as they don't throw stuff on my car and chip my windshield (visual: me in my car, hair wet with my arm raised in a fist shaking it as a rock hits my windshield-but no chip!!).

As we come around a curve I see something large in the road and a black plastic trash bag fluttering from one edge as if it is trapped underneath this dark slimy mess. Cramming the breaks as the grain truck soars over it (we were going down hill) the dark slimy mess is pushed up into the sky but the rear tires and I am immediately encased in a snow globe effect of red, yellow and gold glitter. The dark slimy mess is actually a trash bag of leaves that has fallen out of the back of someone's truck and has been torn open. The morning's rain has dampened the leaves so that has they are sent airborne into the brilliant morning light red, yellow and gold glitter falls upon me. Luckily I am still cramming my breaks because the momentary heaven ceases as the leaves plaster to my windshield. The wipers just sort of slide them around as the damp fragile leaves are torn apart and trapped under my wipers.

So I just smiled and held onto my bits of glitter and called Kel to tell her that Thursdays are always better than Wednesdays.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I LOVE YOU Kayla!!!!!!!

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.