Sunday, October 5, 2014

Because I am supposed to

Guess who is a rule follower?
Yeah, me...unless it is grammar and punctuation. Then I make my own rules !!!!!

Sometimes rules are hard to follow, like when my daughter doesn't want to pick up her toys or sit still in church. Those are really hard because they are things that we are just supposed to do - if we leave the toys out someone might step on them in the middle of the night while going in to feed Brother.
We must sit still in church because if you stand in the pew you can fall down, also your noises make it hard for the elderly woman behind us to hear, even though she tells me EVERY WEEK that she loves it when you sing at the top of your lungs to words you don't know.

Now it is my turn. Lesson plans. Bluck!

After teaching for 6 years I have to write out formal lesson plans and it makes me absolutely batty!

Not because I think I am better than lesson planning but because in the hour it takes me to just write them out I am thinking about how I could be rocking my babies, or doing dishes or folding laundry or snuggling my husband. My time is already thin, using it to write out lessons is frustrating.

I feel like my time is better spent doing other things because I already have course outlines that are aligned to the standards. Why do I have these? Because that is what I was taught to do in college and those were the rules and that is what I am supposed to do.

So I sit and type and want to cry the entire time, but I do them, because I am supposed to do them.

The next time I tell Sister that she is supposed to sit down and be quiet I am going to hug her extra tight and hopefully she knows just how deep my understanding of her frustration goes.

No comments:

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.