Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lint versus Lent

Lint is the stuff you take out of your dryer and throw away - or if you are my students you have a blatant disregard for properly disposing of this laundering by product.

JUST PUT IT IN THE TRASH!!

                                                             

 Unless you are one of those lint artists...then by all means, keep it, in fact, come get mine, it is on the floor next to the trash can...that's right.... next to it. Like those people who walk right past the dish washer to put their plate in the sink. Infuriating. 

                                                 

Lint that floats in the air and pills up on your sweater, it sticks to you. You often don't know its there until someone picks a piece off and says "Oh yeah, you just had a piece of lint right there...I got it for you."

I feel like during Lent we are doing that with God. He is pointing to a little tiny piece of lint on us and saying "You've got something right there, can I help you get it?" Not that what we are giving up/refraining from, etc is something that needs to be picked off and thrown out forever. Maybe just moved or changed - or given to that crazy cat lady down the street that makes catnip filled pockets of light blue lint for her cats.

I gave up seconds last year and I am doing it again. It was hard last year and it is hard this year. Each time I really want more I try to be thankful for what I have and pray to God and tell him that I do not need more, He is enough to fill me.

This doesn't mean I am starving myself...dinner plates are 9'' in diameter around here, there is plenty of space for a filling meal on there.

This doesn't mean I don't slip. I had a snack the other day - a handful of cashews, then I got another. Then I thought "Crap, I got seconds on snack time."

For me this is all about being thankful and finding contentment with what I have. My husband has a job right now and I am trying to be thankful that He and he are still providing for us. (upper case and lower case..get it? He=God and he=Cody)

I am trying to not go overboard, which is hard because there are fancy dinners I want to cook and sweets to bake, and well....to be honest. Clothes I want to buy for myself and daughter, home furnishings to purchase to update my home, paint because I am tired of the color.

This is called "Covered Wagon" and is the current living room color.




Color I want in the living room/kitchen.


I am not being thankful that I have a home that does not have lead paint, that I have furniture that is safe and clean,  clothes on our backs that are not in disrepair and are clean. Also, that we have a way to clean them, Even if they come out wrinkled and with a little lint on them. I bet after Lent I will be a little wrinkled too, but I hope this Lent sticks.

No comments:

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.