Sunday, February 24, 2013

Glad it wasn't me!

You know those moments when you are like...Geeezzzz I am glad that didn't happen to me.

I have one of those for you....not for me, because it happened to me.
This is the snow hanging off our front porch roof.









Her in the midwest it snows frequently in the winter - crazy, right?? Just this past week, it snowed A LOT - like no school a lot - which has to be more than a few inches right?


Maggie standing in a truck tire path.
RIGHT!!

Try 8-10, depending on which farmer you ask ...it is always the same with those farmers - always trying to out do one another!




Annnnyyyways - so my sister comes home from college and decided to come to my house - only she misses her corner, not so bad but the road grater has only done one lane down the gravel road so she has to go clear around ( 4 miles out of her way) and gets stuck, did I mention she also shredded a tire on some pretty wicked ice?

So Carly and I load up - and we get in a friend's vehicle because Cody is at work and his truck is in the body shop because a different friend had a minor brain fart and backed into it. WHOOPS! So a friend of ours lent us me his 4 wheel drive truck very similar to Cody's, just in case I needed to go somewhere.

Which I did...my sister was stuck....... remember?

So I get to her, we get her lug nuts off (this is not a crude joke, these are technical terms, look em up!!) and the jack under the door of her car and my step dad gets there to help.We are laughing and joking and I hear a "clicka"...then another "clicka" and I go to our friend's vehicle...

and Carly...

fervently pressing the lock button with a very broad smile on her face as she proudly says "Mama, I do it" ......

my brain stops, my heart stops and then my brain goes a thousand miles a second

She locked herself in, maybe I can get her to push the other buttons...at least the truck isn't on, she can't get too hot, oh no, the truck isn't on, she will get too cold, my phone is in there, Caitlin's phone is dead, Mark doesn't get good reception, our friend may not answer, Carly thinks this is fun, Cody is going to be so mad at me, where is the crow bar!!

I end up coaxing her to push the lock/unlock buttons again but she only pushes the lock. She can't get the window to go down and now sees the panic on my face. I very sternly but rationally tell my sister to get a way to call our friend with the truck, if they call more than twice and can't get a hold of anyone I am breaking the truck window.

Long story short (heee heee heee) our friend is there, comes with the spare key and Carly is locked in all of 15 minutes. She of course is jamming to music and I am hollering things like, "Where is the moon?" "What color are your pants?" through the window to try and keep her entertained.

The second our friend comes around the corner and the doors unlock I wretch it open and grab for Carly and immediately begin to sob.

Not my usual tears - which fall often. No, those are civilized tears that slide down my face out of my control.

This is uncontrollable vocalization and gasping with tears pouring down my face, stinging my cheeks with their warmth and making a very damp spot on Carly's head. Carly then begins to cry and push me away saying "Ouchie Mama, too tight, squish me Mama" I don't care. I am just holding her because you don't let yourself think what if until after.

See, aren't you glad it wasn't you??





No comments:

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.