Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cloth Diapering

I love the earth. I love conserving the earth and all its wonderful resources so the grand idea was this: If I am home for almost 2 months with a newborn and then Baby T goes to daycare for 4ish months then I am home for a few more I could use cloth diapers for at least the first year then I am making an environmental impact, saving $, and setting a good example!

However there is a lot more to cloth diapering and I am not sure my ADD is up to the challenge, especially with my aversion to laundry.

Cloth diapers have changed A SHIT TON since even we were babies...my mom used them on me during the weekends and nights and then disposables were sent to daycare for daytime...this seems like a good compromise until I looked at the price of today's cloth diapers.

Diaper covers : $15 each, recommended to have 12-20. ($180 - $300)
Diaper inserts: $3 each, recommended to have 30. ($90)

These prices are for the "one size fits all" kind where they are adjustable so you can use them from newborn until potty training. However the single size ones are still around $10 each.

Plus there are a lot of no-no's: No regular diaper rash creams, no regular wash cycles with other types of clothing, must use special soap, some you have to "scotch guard", some you have to remove and change velcro every few months....uhhhhhh.

I am going with disposable...we will see about some cloth diapers next summer... nobody hold your breath.

No comments:

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.