Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snake

I was driving to school one morning before school was in session this fall, and noticed that the electric poles switched sides of the road but didn't think much more of it. Then a day or two later I was driving again and noticed something hanging from one of those power lines but couldn't get a good look at it. On the way home I slowed down so I could see what it was...a big black snake. I assume a hawk dropped it and it landed there since snakes can't fly.

Over the past 5ish months I look for that snake and marvel at the other things I am noticing around me.The new barn put up near where the snake hangs. The cute puppy that I know to slow down for if I leave school around 4:00. The little old lady that likes to walk facing the sun set. The corner where I hit the deer (with my mother-in-law's van...that was a fun phone call).

A gross decaying snake skeleton isn't something most people look forward to seeing and it's not like I want to call Lyon Coffey Electric to come cut it off so I can take it home but it's a symbol to me. Each day the snake weathers a storm and hangs by a thread but it is always there. I go to school everyday and each day there is a new challenge and a different student who is nervin' me, I may cry myself home some nights but I show up the next day, bright eyed and bushy tailed. My skin is not decaying but growing thicker and I am learning how to balance on that thin piece of wire.

1 comment:

jls said...

Wisdom that is applicable to us all, dear. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.