Thursday, September 6, 2012

How to be a Princess

Find this exact shirt at www.shirtofun.com
Back in "the day" I was into the princess thing- not Disney style princess, more like Claire's and cheap accessory store princess. I had a blue shirt with a glittery Princess! and a pink shirt with Princess: noun, see: ME, and....you get it right?

I was not overly conceited, I just liked princess stuff. No one ever called me princess, or treated me like a princess, in fact I despised dresses and often wore jeans and tennis shoes to school....and every where else.

Then I went to college, had a great time and forgot all about the princess phase.

Fast forward 8 years to this morning - 6:45 am, hair is wet and not brushed, make-up is half on, under eye bags are super baggy as I wrote 1 paper and re-read/edited another for masters classes last night, shirt untucked, pink skirt is wrinkled from being left in the dryer over night, no deodorant, teeth not brushed.

Carly comes careening into the bathroom giggling, hair wild, one shoe on the other in her hand, and stops to look at me.

We make eye contact and I lead her to the living room, set her on my lap to put her other shoe on. She pats my disheveled skirt and says "Mama pretty, Mama princess" and smiles at me then slips off my lap before I can give her a hug.

Way better than any t-shirt.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Precious, Kayla, absolutely precious!

Fluffy bunny said...

too cute! I miss you!

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.