Thursday, August 22, 2013

Feels less like icky

The beginging of school always feels icky to me. I am never prepared enough nor am I in the swing of things.

This year felt more icky than usual. I don't like not being prepared - seems strange coming from a person who flies by the seat of her pants 90% of the time, but those are choices I make - so maybe I am a control hound.

Situations I can't control are okay to an extent, I can't control how many kids are enrolled or which kids, but I can control where they sit and my expectations of them.

I can't control how my day is set up, but I can control how I use my time.

I can't control who comes in to my classroom after school and wants to chat for thirty minutes while I am anxiously trying to enter grades and pick things up so I can go get my girl. I can control if I shut off my lights, lock my door and move my computer away from the windows so everyone thinks I am already gone.

About that last one....I don't feel icky about doing that. Sanity saving measures are sometimes necessary.

Now that school has started and I have come to terms and begun to plan and deal with the icky things school is less icky.

By November I will think it is icky again and wonder why I keep doing this job. But I know why, because if I left these kids I would feel icky.

No comments:

Welcome to my world. Nothing too exciting going on here....I am a teacher and enjoy telling my friends about the interesting things that happen in my daily life. I find the most pleasure in the simple things that occur daily. Like the brilliant sunsets as I drive home from work or the way Maggie whimpers and paws when she dreams in the kitchen or the way Cody starts my car when he leaves for work just because he knows I don't like to be cold.